I have tested friendships/create using my python libraryvia oauth and
works fine.
My guess is you are not generating a valid oauth request (ex. invalid
signature).
Could you provide a link to the code you are trying and what libraries
you are using? It would help
others in diagnosing your issue.

Best of luck,

Josh