Karthik - I'm not sure what you mean by "decorated" - the names do
hyperlink to the profile pages.  But typically, I think the @ being
found is within the tweet content.  All of these non-english tweets
either have the @ symbol alone, or they contain a mention.

I've looked through a lot of the API docs and online forums, and I saw
that Twitter doesn't really have a wildcard search.  Is that true?
If I want to search posts for mentions or *partial* words, is there
any way to do that?  For instance, if I want to find mentions that
start with @T2*, where * can be anything or nothing...(and I would
find, for example, @T2thenike) is there a way to do that?  This
partial search would be handy for searching hashtags too, so you don't
have to nail the hashtag term exactly

I guess I'm looking for a "fuzzier" way to search.  Any suggestions?