Pretty much. You have limited options:
1) Run your Search API requests through a proxy where you will have
exclusive access to the IP.
2) Wait for V2 of the Twitter API where the REST and Search APIs get
combined so you can have authenticated search queries.
3) Hope Twitter slaps some duct tape on the issue and rolls out a
whitelisting method for the Search API that includes passkeys in your user
agent or some such thing.
4) Develop on non cloud base infrastructure.
5) Something else.

Abraham

--
Abraham Williams | Community Evangelist | http://web608.org