Al3x has talked about adding a curser to mark progress on this list before.
So if you read through a bunch of statuses on you iPhone the last one you
read will get stored and when you switch to your desktop app it starts
displaying at that specific status. I have no idea if this feature is still
planned or not though. Of course you could always create a third party API
in the meantime.
Abraham

--
Abraham Williams | Community Evangelist | http://web608.org