Openness about abuse is generally counter-productive for everyone. For
example, opaque limits are harder to game and give better detection
signals. Also, practically, limits need to be adjusted without notice
to respond changing attacks. In the end, valid access that is
difficult to distinguish from access overwhelmingly used for invalid
purposes are sometimes, sadly, going to get caught in a low-latency
high-volume countermeasure system.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Services, Twitter Inc.