Setting up external monitoring isn't a huge undertaking. Their are plenty of existing services out there already. Even free ones like pingdom.com . Perhaps Twitter should set up a couple of those until they have their full QoS implementation in place. Pingdom for example would have started sending them emails and SMS messages at 2am pst this morning, when the issue started. They could have then escalated to their ISP and this whole thing wouldn't have lasted for close to 9 hours.