So the conclusion is:

1. DO NOT use the search operators that appear in the queries
generated by the Twitter Advanced Search tool. For example,

http://search.twitter.com/search?q=&ands=

Do not use "ands" in your queries.  The default interpretation of
spaces in yr queries is logical AND. And these do count against query
length.

2. The "query" is the q name/value pair. "?q=" (i.e. name q and
proceeding "=") are not counted toward the 140 limit. Everything else
up until the next parameter (delimited by "&") is counted toward the
140 character limited - including the search operators and their
delimiters. Parameters (e.g. rpp), as these are separate name value
pairs, are not part of the query thus not counted toward the max 140
character count.

NOTE: There are exceptions and some overlap that may cause confusion.
For example, Twitter defines "until:" as a search operator while
you'll also see a "&until=" (i.e. "until" parameter) in the queries
generated by the Advanced Search Tool. As a result, both "until:" and
"&until=" are counted toward the 140 max character limit.

The Twitter API is smart enough to see this overlap and recognize what
you are going. However, it isn't documented. So you save you the
trouble, if you are reading this, I'm noting this here.

Leon