I do not really understand their motivation, 99% of the groups out there are not going to be susceptible to spam. Most groups are tech, or at least, highly niche, and the people on it are going to know it is spam. Most groups are filtered into a folder, there are just so many red flags.

Spammers are a strange group.

How come this list is such a target? I am on some other google groups, larger than this by a fair degree, and this does not happen.