I'm getting between 3 and 10 502's per second, with an added bonus of
about 1 connection refused per second.

Over-worked and under-staffed. That's how I would diagnose the
symptoms, such as our complaining about bad system performance and
poor communication. One human being can only do so much and then the
rest of the tasks land on the floor.

Dewald