I don't see why the data size would make a difference. I currently request the same amount of data in 100 calls of 1 user, as I would in 1 call of 100 users. My application does require a little more info than yours apparently, and I'm sure every app requires a different subset, so a user object should remain a user object and return all info.

Other than that, totally in favor of the bulk API, as expressed repeatedly before...