Michael,

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 8:36 AM, Michael Steuer <mste...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't see why the data size would make a difference.

If you application needs the complete data, then it won't make a difference.

But for applications that don't need it, it directly impacts bandwidth, and
depending on the server architecture, it can impact cache hit-ratio, cache
pressure, buffer quantity and buffer size. Similar considerations are on the
client side, perhaps to a lesser degree.

Also, on the server side, if lesser amount of data results in a fewer
table-joins that could make a huge difference.

This is all speculation on my side though and the best guys to know & decide
are in Twitter.

> I currently request the same amount of data in 100 calls of 1 user, as I
> would in 1 call of 100 users. My application does require a little more info
> than yours apparently, and I'm sure every app requires a different subset,
> so a user object should remain a user object and return all info.

I agree; I am hoping, with a big dose of optimism, that we (social-graph app
developers and Twitter) can agree upon a common subset, and the ETA for this
might be earlier than a bulk API with complete user data.

--
Harshad RJ
http://hrj.wikidot.com