I'm getting the same issue as Marc and harshavs too.

I'm using since_id to start a search from the last set of resuts but
generally get 0 results most of the time, even though the same search
without since_id yields lots of results.

I could start logging tweet IDs against user IDs, and then work
backwards down the list of past results until I get a since_id that
yields results, but it does seem like a bit of a pain.

This is my first time using the search API so I can't even tell you
when this started happening. It just happens!

For info: search is using negation operators, OR and from:

Dave