I have posted some simple scripts to manage Lists at:
http://www.ist.rit.edu/~jxs/tools/scripting/twitterLists.html - I try
to encourage my students to get into scripting & to have fun with curl/
grep/sed/etc...

I have noticed a fair amount of chatter around the Web about
converting userName to userID, and there is quick-hack code at the
bottom of that page of examples (as part of the "addmember"  and
"rmmember" scripts). If it is useful, feel free to use it (all my
stuff is CC licensed). If you have improvements to suggest, that would
be great (and with your permission I will gladly fold it into my
example scripts & of course give attribution).

jeffs
aka @jeffsonstein