I am working on a Twitter app that consumes tweets related to stocks.
My code can use the streaming API to track individual stock names,
such as $aapl, with no problem. I'd like to gather all references to
stocks, so I'm trying to use the $ character as the filter string. I
would then parse out only the tweets that have a valid $[stockname]
included. When I create a statuses/filter connection with the
predicate of just $, I get tweets with the $ followed by a space or a
number, but never followed by an alpha character. Is this a bug, or as
designed? Is it possible to have the API return tweets with $ followed
by any characters?

The only other alternative I can see is setting up a filter connection
with all stock names preceded by $, but that will require more track
keywords than allowed in the default rate.