I find that PHP is very unreliable when processing JSON. Rather than
even trying to fight this, I find it much more reliable to call the
Twitter API with a request for Atom format, which is really just XML.
Then I can use simplexml_load_string to get the result into a PHP
object. From there I can use a foreach loop to pull out the pieces and
store them in a MySQL database. I also find it easier to send it to
jQuery through Ajax as an HTML string, since I'm going to have to add
it to the page DOM as HTML anyway. In jQuery I use .get() to pull down
the HTML from the server.

 I know JSON is intended for delivery to Javascript, but I have given
up on using it with PHP. The PHP forums are filled with complaints
about JSON handling.