Hi Steve,

This is expected behavior. From the documentation:

References matched are statuses that were:
-Created by a specified user
-Explicitly in-reply-to a status created by a specified user (pressed
reply "swoosh" button)
-Explicitly retweeted by a specified user (pressed retweet button)
-Created by a specified user and subsequently explicitly retweed by any user

Are you seeing "random" tweets that do not have in_reply_to set to any
of the ids in your follow list?

-Chad