yup! the geo tag should be available and populated via the streaming API -- http://stream.twitter.com/1/statuses/sample.json gives a sampling of all the public tweets, and that should be enough to get most projects/visualizations off the ground.

You could look at the Streaming API, more specifically:
http://stream.twitter.com/1/statuses/sample.json. I don't know if this
is a full stream of new public tweets or not (could someone specify
this for me too please?), but it looks like a nice start...

Hi everyone. I've been working on a twitter app with a small team for
about half a year now that is focused on geocoding and mapping of
tweets. Work so far has been done with dummy data, since the geocoding
APIs aren't available yet. I've been looking at how I might use the
upcoming APIs to access real twitter geo data, but it doesn't seem
possible to get the data that we need.

Right now in our test application we have a database of fake tweets
that include lat/lon coordinates. This allows us to do queries for
specific regions, periods of time, etc. For example, we need to know
how many tweets were made within a certain rectangular area (someone's mobile screen) within the last hour, week etc. Right now I can get all
of the tweets in one query, and then perform clustering to display
them on a map. I cannot see anything in the upcoming APIs that allows
me access to this sort of data.

I've looked athttp://search.twitter.com/search.json?geocode=40.757929%2C-73.985506 %..., but that only gives tweets within a certain radius, and only up to 100 at a time. This isn't practical when I need to identify on a map where
perhaps thousands of tweets have happened over an extended time
period. I've looked elsewhere and can't see anything that would help
our situation, save the firehose. I know it says don't contact twitter
about access, they'll contact you, but there is no way to launch our
app without access to it.

I would love to hear any suggestions people might have as to how I
could perform the queries I need to perform, or perhaps alternative
techniques I have neglected to think of.

Thanks,
Kallin Nagelberg

--
Raffi Krikorian