I believe in that case the url is just truncated and gone. I believe
this only works when shortening it with bit.ly still wouldn't make the
tweet fewer than 140 characters. Though it seems unfortunate to lose
the url, in a sense you aren't missing data because *no one* gets that
url so ultimately it doesn't really exist :)

I'd imagine this is fairly rare, yes? I'd recommend just giving up and
skipping the tweet if the url isn't fully formed.

--
Marcel Molina
Twitter Platform Team