We do not have plans to support minor versions initially. We're going
to start with the simplest versioning scheme possible and then expand
it to include minor versions when the need arises.

So as of right now version 1 already exists, at
http://api.twitter.com/1. As for whether it should be considered
"stable", I'd say it's very close to being so. I've been using it
exclusively on my Twitter clients for several months. Since announcing
it publicly a couple weeks ago the only reports of irregularities have
been around server configuration (e.g. some requests over ssl getting
an untrusted cert error and requests for gzipped responses not being
configured correctly). As for the behavior of the API it should be
100% compatible with the non versioned twitter.com API.

--
Marcel Molina
Twitter Platform Team