This is STILL a problem. I have a possible theory on what is happening
at a server level.

The search phrases I am using are quite specific - i.e, I may well be
the only person in the world searching for that particular string.

First Call - Because it has a since_id, it assumes that it checks
against the server cache ONLY - and doesn't update the search results.

Second Call - Because there is no since_id, it updates the search
results.

Third Call - Once again, with a since_id, it checks against the cache
only - but because of the previous call, now there are tweets there.

I think Twitter is assuming that if there is a since_id, that it
doesn't need to update the original search. The only way around this
problem is to make TWO API calls, or to process the since_id myself.
That's just not acceptable.