You wrote "So   causes a problem for a cURL message. The message
is truncated at the ampersand."

This could be due to the fact that on UNIX-like systems (including
Mac), the command line interprets the ampersand as "everything before
this point should be run in the background." Anything after the
ampersand is another command.

If this is the problem, here is the solution: put the entire string in
"quotes".

Brian