I am trying to update my twitter status using curl and this code:

shell_exec('curl http://twitter.com/statuses/update.'.$format.' -u '.
$username.':'.$password.' -d status="'.$title.'"');

The variable $title has this string "Why can't I win!". When I look
for the post in my stream, this is the text I see "Why can". The text
is truncated at the single quote. I have tried escaping it, using
several PHP methods to fix single and double quotes. I've also used
', all to no avail.

I just recently started using curl instead of the direct API call. Is
this a curl issue? If so is there a work around, or a resolution?

Thanks,

--Thom