I think you are using Basic Auth to login, but it don't work well in
Flex,
you should try to use OAuth that have better support on Flex.

any you can use some library to help you finish the project:
http://code.google.com/p/tweetr/
http://code.google.com/p/oauth-as3/

sample code is including in the library.