Toma,

There are tools you could use to do language detection on your side
and filter out non-Serbian tweets. I assume what slows you down is the
call to Google's Language Detection API:

http://code.google.com/apis/ajaxlanguage/documentation/#Detect

You should try the n-gram based language identifier that comes with
the Nutch search engine. You can build a language model for Serbian
relatively quickly (just feed it a file with a fair amount of text in
Serbian) and see how well it works:

http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/LanguageIdentifier
http://lucene.apache.org/nutch/

Diego