Ben,

You should use the filter resource on the streaming api to receive this
information. Either use the follow parameter to select a list of users or
use the track parameter to select the hashtag, and then perform the
secondary processing on your end. The upside of follow is there is no rate
limiting, but you have to manage your list of users. So, your trade is
between user cardinality and hashtag proportionality.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Services, Twitter Inc.