My general rule of thumb is to only use a numeric datatype (integer,
double, etc.) if the value is intended for mathematical operations
(like an account balance, or any amount or measurement). Some examples
of number-style data that I always store as strings/characters are
phone numbers and employee id numbers or any identification number.
The later would, of course, include tweet IDs.