I noticed the same behavior in my app: when I include since_id in the
search API call, I often don't get all the tweets I should. If I run
without since_id, I see tweets with IDs that should have shown up in
the search where I included since_id.

Any response from Twitter? The since_id parameter is a very useful
feature of the API. It would reduce system load and bandwidth
considerably for everyone if it worked right.

/Martin