@AJ Chen
You are 100% correct when you say that it’s the user’s responsibility
to clean up duplicates in the search results. My issue is not so much
about there being duplicates, but the fact that there are so many of
them. My concept of search is that if there have been new tweets
posted, say 30 odd since I last queried search, I ought to get the new
tweets on my next query. What I shouldn’t be getting is, search
results from say two hours ago whenever I query search. Maybe I am
wrong here, but that’s how I expected the search API to work.
On the issue of Rate Limiting, I am really not sure what the rate
limit would be, since the documentation does not give a clear picture
of what that limit is. The documentation (http://apiwiki.twitter.com/
Rate-limiting) merely hints that it is significantly higher than the
150 requests per hour limit for the REST API. Considering this, I
don’t think my application / script should be exceeding that limit
since I only make 4 requests per hour.
Anyway, would really appreciate it if someone could point me in the
right direction, or at least let me know if I am trying to the wrong
thing with the search API.

Regards,
Elroy