Searched the bug database again and found that someone had reported
this a couple of weeks ago:
http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/detail?id=1154

I added my experience with the bug to the existing bug report and
starred it. If you care about since_id working in searches, feel free
add to the bug report!

/Martin