that seems to be a deficiency in the format we chose to notate whether
the endpoint requires authentication.

if you are calling

api.twitter.com/1/favorites/raffi.json

for example, then you don't need to authenticate because my favorites
are public.  however, if you were to call

api.twitter.com/1/favorites.json

then authentication is required so we know "who you are".  in
addition, authentication may also be required depending on whether the
user you are requesting from is protected.

--
Raffi Krikorian
Twitter Platform Team