Hi there-

I have an app that compares who you're following to your friends
followers. To do this, I query ttp://twitter.com/friends/ids.json?user_id=X
and compare that to my (saved) list of IDs.

I noticed that if I make repeated (unauthenticated) queries to
http://twitter.com/friends/ids.json?user_id=X (ie, I'm comparing my
friends to friend A's friends, then to friend A's friend (B), then to
friend B's friend (C)) that user_id X gets locked out (I get the
"We've temporarily locked your account after too many failed attempts
to sign in. Please chillax for a few, then try again." when trying to
login to the website (or from a Twitter client).

I'm guessing that the rapid, multiple queries look like abuse.

I did notice, however, then if I make authenticated queries to the
same API method, the account locking does *not* happen.

Is this an anti-abuse method? Is my only option to use authenticated
calls?

Sal