Thanks for your replies.

@Ed I think you're right with the location-based search being the
better option at the moment (just realized you don't need a query for
that), but I still have to analyze the tweets and see if they're
useful for what I want to do with them after.

@Elroy thanks for referring me to the other group discussion, it
helps. I was considering going for the Streaming API, but stumbled
upon the same problem with location based feeds. I will be following
that page closely to see what the developments are on that one.

@Raffi thanks in general :-)