The backwards compatibility problem is SAX event based parsers that, without
proper code in place to set the current context, will just blindly grab the
screen_name and text attributes etc in potentially non-deterministic ways
thus mixing up, potentially, the tweeter from the retweeter, and the tweet
from the retweet.

--
Marcel Molina
Twitter Platform Team