Why is Twitter announcing a major API change over the holidays?  Why
are they giving us just a few (mostly holiday!) days to account for
it?

Please either a) preserve the existing calls, or b) give us a 3 month
window before deprecating.  This is a new API change.

Given that many have commented on this, there is clearly value in
preserving this call.  It is beyond me as to why Twitter feels it is
necessary to limit what is clearly valuable.