My experience with rate limiting shows that each authenticated request
is counted against that user's limit on your IP. So, you get 20,000
requests per IP, per user, per hour assuming all your requests are
authenticated. Any unauthenticated requests go towards the 20,000
request limit per IP, per hour.

In my case, all Twitter API calls are authenticated and cached for an
hour. The way my app is set up, under normal usage, no user will use
more than 20,000 Twitter API requests.

--
Kyle Mulka
Founder, Congo Labs