For the first use case, following many users' timelines, you should be
using the follow method on the Streaming API. Currently you cannot get
protected and low quality user statuses this way, but you can get the
vast majority of tweets this way. Until we support these corner cases,
you can fall back to the REST API for protected users.

For automated hashtag searching, you should also be using the
Streaming API. The track feature will give you all hashtags search for
up to a fairly generous proportion of the total stream of tweets.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Services, Twitter Inc.