We're not ready to fully support desktop clients on the Streaming API.
Connection counts, permissions issues to protected statuses, OAuth, etc,
still need to be addressed. At the moment, we're trying to move services
over where possible. Desktop client experimentation is fine, but full
support for desktop clients from our end isn't practical yet.

Both Search and Streaming discard all statuses from low-quality users.
Search additionally filters the remaining statuses for relevance and ranking
purposes. This may be hard to see now, unless you cross-reference the
Streaming results, but this divergence will soon accelerate and become more
obvious.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Services, Twitter Inc.