I've been getting this too. I had a long-running process that was
going back in time paging through Twitter search data (search API). It
was using oAuth. I just assumed I had gotten all the data search was
willing to give me and aborted the process after three consecutive
failures.

If you want me to try to reproduce this, send me an email - I'm not
going to be testing this process again until I've had a chance to look
at the data I collected. The request was a search with a geocode
parameter and an "until_id" parameter.