Check out the filter URL on the streaming API.  It will return up to N
tweets a minute, where N is the amount you'd get from a sampled
stream.  However it only returns tweets that match track keywords.
Provided the number of filtered tweets is never above the sampled
amount, you won't get limited.

Let's take a hypothetical example.  Using gardenhose you're throttled
at 100 tweets a minute (not the real number).  You track the keyword
"twitter".  During the first minute there are 50 matches.  You get all
50.  During the second minute there are 150 tweets about twitter.
You'll get 100 tweets, and a limit message saying there were 50 more
you missed due to throttling.  Does this make sense?

   ---Mark

http://twitter.com/mccv