We have extensive monitoring on all streams and graph the worst case latency
for every server in several ways, from several locations. If latency
increases just slightly, alarms go off.

I think you must be looking at something else. Try this:

In one window:
curl -s
stream.twitter.com/1/statuses/filter.xml\?track=g8buzz,bears,tourism,sandro,jetsday,haiti,vinb,victorytulsa,lakers,mavericks,pens,mavs,relativesinhaiti,flames,penguins
-uUSER:PASS | egrep '^  <created_at>'

In another window:
echo "while 1;date;sleep 1;end" | tcsh

You'll see the tweet created_at time match your system clock, assuming you
are running ntp, sufficient bandwidth, and there isn't some momentary
operational hiccup.

I think you are looking at retweets or something similar.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Services, Twitter Inc.