On Jan 16, 1:56 am, Dave Sherohman <d...@fishtwits.com> wrote:
> Every status has a unique ID number.  Any new status will have an ID
> higher than any prior status[1].

[snip]

> [1] Possibly modulo a little inconsistency for updates received
> simultaneously by separate servers; I don't know whether Twitter's
> architecture handles this situation, but it can be safely ignored unless
> you're going to be submitting multiple updates over different network
> connections at exactly the same instant.

That brings up an interesting point. I've seen "Twitter statistics
reports" that assume not only that status ID numbers are always
increasing, but increase by 1! In other words, if you look at the
tweet stream on Friday noon UTC and tweet 9,000,000,000 goes by, you
look at the stream on Saturday noon UTC and tweet 9,001,000,000 goes
by, you can figure that a million tweets were created in 24 hours. Is
this in fact a valid assumption, and is it documented anywhere? I'm
anal about that sort of thing for a variety of reasons. ;-)

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
http://borasky-research.net/smart-at-znmeb

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." ~ Paul
Erdős