Just looking for thoughts on this.

I am consuming the gardenhose via a php app on my web server. So far
so good. The script simply creates a new file every X amount of time
and starts feeding the stream into it so I get a continuous stream of
fresh data and I can delete old data via cron. I plan to access the
stream (files) with separate processes for further json parsing and
data mining.

But then that got me to thinking about simply feeding the data into a
MySQL database for easier data manipulation and indexing. Would that
cause a more stressful server load with the constant INSERT queries vs
a process just dumping the data into a file [ via PHP fputs() ] that
is perpetually open?

What about simply running the php process and accessing the "stream"
directly? Only grabbing a snapshot of the data when a process needs
it? I'm not really concerned with historical data as my web based app
is more focused on trends at a given moment. Just wondering out loud
if simply letting the process run in the background grabbing data
would eventually fill up any caches or system memory.