Ok
Yes this IS a common error message. I've read most of the posts, the
entire OAuth beginner's documentation, registered my application,
checked for capitalization , checked my system clock.
So far, no luck
As a base library I am using  Sönke Rohde's open source Twitter
library
http://github.com/srohde/Twitter,

though might switch to Tweetr and see if I make better progress.

This is my header

GET /oauth/request_token?
oauth_consumer_key=C4eEz9MqGy28wuCj8hJC4w&oauth_nonce=0020a00%2001&oauth_signature=gX9Uk20RF70D6sxljfvcIK4szr4%3D&oauth_signature_method=HMAC-
SHA1&oauth_timestamp=1263675366 HTTP/1.1

Also , I am testing from the desktop at the moment so needing a proxy
for security sandbox issues isn't a problem.
Can anyone help with troubleshooting?