I'd strongly suggest consuming the Streaming API only from persistent
processes that write into some form of durable asynchronous queue (of any
type) for your application to consume. Running curl periodically is unlikely
to be a robust solution.

Select one of the existing Streaming API clients out there and wrap it in a
durable process. Write to rotated log files, a message queue, or whatever
other mechanism that you choose, to buffer the arrival of new statuses
before consumption by your application. This will allow you to restart your
application at will without data loss.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Services, Twitter Inc.