On Jan 16, 7:28 pm, John Kalucki <j...@twitter.com> wrote:
> I'd strongly suggest consuming the Streaming API only from persistent
> processes that write into some form of durable asynchronous queue (of any
> type) for your application to consume. Running curl periodically is unlikely
> to be a robust solution.
>
> Select one of the existing Streaming API clients out there and wrap it in a
> durable process. Write to rotated log files, a message queue, or whatever
> other mechanism that you choose, to buffer the arrival of new statuses
> before consumption by your application. This will allow you to restart your
> application at will without data loss.

I don't know that there are any open source libraries out there yet
that are robust enough to do that. At the moment, I'm working
exclusively in Perl, and "AnyEvent::Twitter::Stream" seems to be the
only Perl Streaming API consumer with any kind of mileage on it. As
you point out, real-time programming for robustness is a non-trivial
exercise. It would be nice if someone would build a C library and SWIG
".i" files. ;-)

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
http://borasky-research.net/smart-at-znmeb

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." ~ Paul
Erdős