Y'all should look at what Facebook connect does:

http://wiki.developers.facebook.com/index.php/Session_Proxy

You can keep the secret on a server, and the server acts as a proxy for the
agent. Naturally, this raises the question of how the server knows that the
agent is legit. That said, this is 'better', not 'perfect'.

With a proxy, you can implement a two-layer auth scheme, where perishable or
revocable credentials are shipped with the app (not secure). such
credentials can be invalidated at the proxy if there is a problem associated
with them. If the credentials are okay, then the proxy does the deed on
behalf of the agent.

ALL this stuff, oauth included, is not likely to be used in banking security
or by the military. but it is decent enough (at least right now) to prevent
a set of bad things from happening, most of the time. 'better' is better
than 'bad', by a long shot.