Sample streams are just that, samples. You should be comfortable with the
occasional small gap in your data. You must consume only one sample stream
for your app. If you have a hardware failure, you can fail over to another
client box, but don't consume the stream twice.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Infrastructure, Twitter Inc.