Slowly making my way to Twiter-OAuth mastery

Broken down into 4 steps and 3 server requests, this is my
understanding of the OAuth workflow
1 user/consumer obtains request token
  http://twitter.com/oauth/request_token

2 user/consumer is redirected to twitter-OAuth  url
  http://twitter.com/oauth/authorize

3 after authorization, user is redirected back to consumer
(application) previously defined as callback URL in aplication details
page, along with user authorized request token.

4 consumer(application) exchanges user authorized request token for an
access token
  http://twitter.com/oauth/access_token

NOW the user can make updates to his her twitter account
http://twitter.com/statuses/update.json

My question is, when is verify_credentials necessary?
Does it need to be called immediatley AFTER obtaining the access
token, or is it optional?
http://twitter.com/account/verify_credentials.json