I don't think the "verified" means what you are assuming it means.

If you make a call to "verifiy_credentials", you will get a 401 error and an
error message if the credentials are invalid.  If you receive any user data,
then it is a success.

Straight from the API documentation
http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Twitter-REST-API-Method:-account
verify_credentials<http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Twitter-REST-API-Method:-account%C2%A0verify_credentials>

"Returns an HTTP 200 OK response code and a representation of the requesting
user if authentication was successful; returns a 401 status code and an
error message if not.  Use this method to test if supplied user credentials
are valid."

Ryan