Just in case anyone is having the same issue I had with PHP scripts
running from the command line stopping on them, I discovered my
problem.

I was connecting to the linux server via SSH client remotely. I'd log
into a bash shell, CD over to the directory and run my script in the
background like -- "php script.php &" (the & is to run as a background
process).

The problem: I'm embarrassed to say that the problem was whenever my
SSH client disconnected or timed out it killed the process I had
running in that session. Don't know why it took me so long to connect
those easy dots.

The solution: Log into your system like normal then open another bash
session inside your session (bash). Then execute your script and exit
out of the extra session (exit).